3 Steps to Take After a Workplace Injury

If a person is among the several million who suffer workplace injuries each year, they’ll want to get their needs taken care of. An injured worker can get compensation for his or her lost wages and medical bills, and it’s important for them to put themselves in the right position to make a recovery. By learning What to do after a work injury, employees can protect their rights under state law.

Report the Incident Immediately

This step is important, but it’s very easy to disregard if a worker doesn’t realize the long-term effects of their accident. All workplace incidents should promptly be reported to a supervisor; if the worker is a member of a labor union, the steward should be notified as well. If an injured worker doesn’t report an accident right away, the employer may allege that it didn’t happen at work or they may attempt to penalize the worker for not reporting it on time.

Keep Proper Records

An injured worker should take the names of co-workers and others who saw the accident, as they can become witnesses. Keep records of conversations with supervisors, and be sure to get a copy of the incident report. Take notes during talks with insurance companies, nurses, and insurers as well. If a doctor limits the employee’s work activities, they should put it in writing and the worker should make copies.

Get the Right Medical Care

In many cases, a worker may have to see a physician in a network if the employer’s worker’s compensation insurer has a managed care contract. If that’s not the case, the worker can choose his or her own doctor if it’s not an emergency. It’s important to follow the physician’s care instructions precisely. If a worker doesn’t take their medications, attend therapy, or they go back to work sooner than the doctor recommends, the employer may use it against them.

Worker’s comp cases can be very complex, and it’s important to find a lawyer with the experience and skill these cases require. For additional information on the state’s worker’s compensation laws, call a local law firm to schedule a consultation.